Thursday, November 25, 2010

Perfect and Peaceful La Paz

 After over 2.5 months of sailing down the Oregon, California, and Baja Coastlines we've finally made it to our final destination, La Paz. It's truly everything we could have asked for and more. We are in a beautiful marina just outside the city and the weather is perfect everyday. With 85 degree days and 65 degree nights it's more than comfortable (even though the locals are starting to bundle up for winter, Dad and I are loving these temperatures.)

Me in front of a fountain in the city

Overlooking the bay and anchorage

La Iglesia (the church)

Dad under the street sign "5 de Mayo"
(which means May 5th...his birthday!)


















Our new home-away-from-home (Marina Palmira)
Each day we continue to explore more (and learn more, too). I've taken it upon myself to use this time in Mexico as a refresher course for my high school Spanish skills. I take every chance I get to chat with the locals as I attempt to re-learn. So far so good. I've also been participating in weekly Yoga classes and spending time with a variety of people that I've met (both during the Ha-Ha and more recently on our dock).
Me, Dad, Joel, Vivien, and Mike (lobster dinner with friends)

Dad and I getting ready to eat our lobster

My lobster dinner
 Dad and I have managed to find numerous grocery stores, including an open air market with butchers (the pig heads and raw meat caught us both off guard the first time) and produce. Dad is still in search to find where the locals eat, although I'm enjoying the food at the fancy tourist restaurants quite a bit. I have also explored a couple of the local fabric stores and coffee shops, as well. After a few weeks here, I am finally beginning to feel familiar with the city and know where a variety of stores and markets are (without having to use a map). Dad is also getting his bearings (using Burger King as his central location...hey, whatever works.)

La Paz is surrounded by beautiful anchorages that are just a day sail away. Hopefully once we feel a little more settled, we will take a trip out to enjoy the snorkeling and warm waters of the Sea. For now, though, we are still enjoying the security of being tied up and the marina life. Dad has decided to stay here for 4-6 more months and is looking forward to learning more about the city, the local life, and the Sea of Cortez. I will be returning back to Portland in December and can't wait to see family and friends for the holidays.

La Paz continues to be exciting each day and is the perfect end of this adventure for me and perfect beginning of a new adventure for Dad.
Dad with his favorite statue

Dad and I in front of the Sea of Cortez


No comments:

Post a Comment