Thursday, November 25, 2010

Baking on a Boat

While in San Diego, I had my first tour of a boat, other than Sea Chaser. During this tour, I was pleasantly surprised to find that regular cruising boats generally have full kitchens ("gallies" in boating terms) including small ovens. Keeping in mind that since we left Coos Bay, I've been wanting to bake cookies (but, unfortunately, Sea Chaser doesn't have the capabilities to do so). So, as a means to satisfy my sweet tooth, I've taken it upon myself to invade a variety of our dock neighbors and use their mini-ovens for baking a variety of decadent desserts.

My first boat baking experience happened on So Inclined, a 36 ft. Catalina. Mike (the Captain/owner) and his crew/friend Bob are bachelors and were needing a cookie fix just as bad as I was. I met Mike during the Ha-Ha and told him once the rally was over I was going to invade his boat to bake cookies (he didn't object). With open arms he welcomed me aboard and we attempted our first batch of chocolate chip cookies (that's right, I said our first batch...we ended up baking on two separate occasions. The first 4 dozen just wasn't enough.) I don't think I've laughed that hard in weeks!
Me and Mike combining the ingredients

Mike and Bob stirring the batter

The "Cookie Crew" awaiting the fresh chocolate chip cookies
 My second boat baking experience was, once again, on So Inclined. Our first batch of chocolate chip cookies was slightly disappointing because they ended up too cakey (although this minor "defect" didn't prevent us from finishing them off. But, we had to choke them down and were highly unsatisfied...haha). So, during baking day 2 we used butter instead of margarine, added oatmeal, raisins, and cinnamon and made a much more satisfying batch. Mike added to the baking (and proved his ability to multitask) by making us chocolate chip pancakes, eggs, and mimosas for brunch...another great day in La Paz.
Mike and I enjoying Mimosas

Mike, Me, and Bob waiting for the cookies to bake
My third and final (for now) baking on a boat experience was aboard Lady Ann a 37 ft. Irwin. Dad and I met owners Vivien and Joel back in Channel Islands Harbor and have continued to stay in contact ever since. This sailing husband and wife participated in the Ha-Ha and are now docked just 3 slips down from us in La Paz. We've really enjoyed their company during a significant part of this adventure (and now I've been able to enjoy their oven, too). During our separate journeys, both Vivien and myself celebrated our birthdays (mine 10/28 and Vivien's 11/15). Both of us were quite bitter about the fact that neither one received birthday cakes so we brought it upon ourselves to bake our own. So, we preheated the oven, mixed up the batter and made a delicious chocolate birthday cake with chocolate frosting. While we waited for the chocolate cake to bake we also decided to whip up a pumpkin pie as well...just because it's that time of year. Another successful baking day aboard a boat.
Vivien and I cut our bithday cake together

We also enjoyed some cake batter

I eat my first piece of b-day cake

1 comment:

  1. the birthday cake knife is upside down! ohh kelly..

    ReplyDelete