Friday, November 19, 2010

Under the Great Golden Gate

Our first glimpse of the brigde...so close, yet so far


The Great Golden Gate from afar
After 2 days and 2 nights of sailing from Eureka, I was more than ready to get to our next destination, San Fransisco. I vaguely remember visiting the city as a little girl, but couldn't wait to see it from the angle of a "cruiser."

On Wednesday morning (9/22), we awoke with Drakes Bay in our sight. We sailed east for at least 3 hours and gradually made our way into the dreaded shipping lanes that led us under the Golden Gate Bridge. What you have to know about shipping lanes is that they are meant for large ships to enter and exit the bay in an orderly manner, like giant highways in the ocean. What they are not meant for are tiny 27 ft sailboats with inexperienced crew. Regardless, Dad and I navigated through them like pros...kind of.
So, from Drakes Bay we continued the journey south-east to the bridge. By about noon, I could see the Golden Gate and my stomach started to fill with excitement. However, my excitement was premature...what I didn't realize was that although I could see the bridge, it was still going to take at least 5 hours to get to it.
Dad with a cruise ship...sometimes I wish I was on a boat that big
(oh who am I kidding, I always wish that)

So close...

A fellow sailor braving the rough waters (is he crazy?!)
Motoring at approximately 4 knots, against a current of approximately 6 knots...I think we were actually going backwards more than forwards. Not only did we encounter pretty large seas, but a cruise ship, and a couple of container ships, too. During our journey to the bridge, I did managed to take at least 30 pictures of the "Great Golden Gate." A little excessive, I know, but at least it kept my mind off the choppy ocean and giant ships manuvering around us.

Picture #25

"Smile, Dad, you just sailed under the Gold Gate!"

That's funny it looks the same from either side
(Picture #29)

No comments:

Post a Comment